Cancer is an abnormal growth of cells which tend to multiply in an uncontrolled way and, in some cases, metastasize (spread). Cancer is not one single disease, but rather a group of more than 100 different and distinct diseases. Cancer can involve any tissue of the body and have many different forms in each body area. Most cancers are named for the type of cell or organ in which they start. Some types of Cancer include: Breast Cancer, Colon/Rectal Cancer, Endometrial Cancer, Leukemia, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer, etc.
The types of Cancer can be grouped into broader categories, such as:
- Carcinoma: A cancer in the lining of the internal organs or epithelial tissue of the skin
- Sarcoma: A malignant tumor that affects connective tissue
- Leukemia: A malignance of blood cells
- Lymphoma and myeloma: These are two types of blood cancer. Myeloma breeds on plasma cells while lymphoma grows on lymphocytes
- Central nervous system cancers: Primary central nervous system (CNS) cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the lymph tissue of the brain and/or spinal cord.
City Drugs is here to give you the support your need when you need it. If you have any questions about the medications we provide for patients with chronic, complex conditions, feel free to contact us at 212-988-4500 or click here